Monday, May 31, 2010

Here are some pictures of the students that I've been telling you all about. I see them everywhere! It's usually pretty difficult for me to spot students when they're not wearing uniforms (almost all Taiwanese students look the same way), but it's very easy for them to spot me. No matter where I go, I hear "Teacher Josephine!" This happens even in different cities! Most of the time I don't know who they are, but I just smile and wave.

But, there is this one class that I don't want to smile and wave at. They are driving me bonkers! I teach them for two consecutive hours on Thursdays. They are about 17 years old and act like they could care less that I am speaking. I am trying so hard! Music, video clips, activities, homework, tests. They just look at me like I'm from another planet. Basically, this class makes all of my lesson plans go "kerplop" in a most magnificent fashion. It's strange because my other classes listen and participate all the time (both older and younger students). This class makes me want to lock myself in an air-conditioned room and scream! I'm also getting little taste of my own medicine: In high school, I used to flip my pen in class (not obnoxiously of course) as a habit from debate. Now, I am surrounded by choreographed baton work and a cacophony of dropping pens. AHHHHHHHH! Any suggestions?

Hmmm, I'm going to change the subject by telling a funny story.

This is my favorite dialogue of the day (it happened like two minutes ago). There is this student that brings me a small tomato or wax apple after lunch everyday (he passes them out to all of the teachers). I always smile, say hello, and thank him. Today was different. I decided to strike up a conversation. My result?

Me: (serious) "Thank you."
Student: (nods)
Me: (chatty tone) "I know that I've asked you your name like five times, but..."
Student: (very promptly) "Three, actually."
Me: "Oh."
Student: (very serious) "Roy."

Roy, oh buddy oh chap, I promise not to forget again, especially after you've been keeping tally!

No comments:

Post a Comment